RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |

News: 2010 archive

ted sanderson

State Historic Preservation Officer Appointed
Governor Donald Carcieri has designated Edward F. Sanderson to serve as Rhode Island's State Historic Preservation Officer. Mr. Sanderson replaces Frederick C. Williamson who served with distinction as Rhode Island's State Historic Preservation Officer from 1969 until his death at age 95 in September 2010. Mr. Sanderson is the Executive Director of the RI Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission. He has served as Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer since 1984. (11/9/10)

anthony mill

Two historic districts listed on National Register
The Anthony Village Historic District in Coventry and the Arnold Farm Plat of the Edgewood Historic District in Cranston have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Anthony Village is a historic mill village that was a symbol of American industrialization in the 19th century. The Arnold Farm Plat is representative of a turn-of-the-century streetcar suburb development. (10/28/10)

fred williamson Frederick C. Williamson, 1915-2010
Frederick C. Williamson, Chairman of the Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission and the longest serving State Historic Preservation Officer in the nation, died on Sunday, September 26, 2010 at age 95. For over four decades, Fred exposed a wide and diverse world to the message of historic preservation, and he brought home to the preservation movement the urgent need for preservation to be part of the solution to larger public issues such as housing, community development, and tolerance among fellow citizens. 

For more information about Fred's work in historic preservation and memorial arrangements, click here. (10/1/10)

casino theatre Rhody Awards for 11 RI people, places, and projects
RIHPHC and Preserve Rhode Island will present the Rhody Awards for Historic Preservation to recognize preservation achievements from around the state. This year's winners come from Narragansett, Newport, Jamestown, Providence, Westerly, and Johnston. Congratulate the winners at the Preservation Celebration on Thursday, October 1 at the Casino Theatre at the International Tennis Hall of Fame--and check out its recent restoration (left). (10/1/10)
church hill school Church Hill Grammar School listed on National Register
Located in Pawtucket, the school has received federal recognition for its contributions to education and architecture. (4/25/10)
1954 hurricane

Resources for disaster recovery
Bringing a historic structure damaged by a natural disaster back to life requires special resources and information. Also, the National Trust for Historic Preservation's website helps owners and users of historic buildings to plan and prepare in the unfortunate event that disaster strikes. See NTHP's Disaster Preparedness, Planning, & Response page. Also, the NTHP is making available free copies of the booklet Treatment of Flood-Damaged Older and Historic Buildings. (4/2/10)

Hopkins Hollow cranberry processing Bucolic Rural District Wins Federal Honor
A 2000-acre hamlet in western Coventry and West Greenwich has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Hopkins Hollow/Roaring Brook Historic District is an intact rural village developed between 1728 and 1959. Its story depicts multiple generations of a family devoted to developing the land and then protecting its scenic, historic, and natural character. (3/4/10)
Central Diner Central Diner Listed on National Register
Congratulations to the Central Diner (now known as the Liberty Elm Diner) for its recent listing on the National Register in recognition of its contributions to the history of commerce and architecture. Built by the Worcester Lunch Car Company in 1947, this diner first opened for business in downtown Providence and then moved south to Elmwood around 1953. (2/1/10)